Saturday, March 5, 2011

Chile :)

I am finally here!! Sorry it took me so long to update, but I have not only been super busy with everything going on, but my internet on my laptop doesnt work right now, so I am using the computer at my homestay that is about 15 years old! I have only been in Chile for 3 days now, but already so much has happened to me! I have a whole new Chilean family, a new house, a kitten, sister, and basically life. But, since it has been 4 days since I have been in the States, I will start my story from when I left, and trust me, a there is a LOT to tell.
My trip started at GR International Airport, where I was a mix of excitement, nerves, happy, sad, and pretty much every other emotion there is. As I was leaving to go through security and looked back at my parents and Stephen walking away, I started to cry. I think at that moment I finally realized that I wasnt going to see the people that I love for a whole 5 months, and the reality set in that I was actually leaving. So, I stood in the security line with all my stuff, and the cranky biatch who searched me whips out my expensive maple syrup that I was giving my host family for a gift (its from Blandford Nature Center) and my huge container of Ponds face moisturizer and tells me I cant have them with me, but I could take them back to the American Airlines counter where they can go in the back and find my checked bags and shove them in there if I want. So, naturally I say yes, and I go back to where I started to put a fricken syrup and lotion in my bags. Then, the woman there says to me, -I put your syrup in between a pair of jeans, but since its glass it might break and spill all over your clothes, and American Airlines isnt responsible for damages.- So with that wonderful thought in my head she then says to me,- and your suitcase is pretty much about to burst at the seams, and if it breaks mid flight and all of your stuff goes everywhere American Airlines isnt responsible.- So now Im walking back to security where I have to be re-searched, worrying about having sticky clothes or no clothes at all by the time I actually get into Chile.
The flight from GR to Dallas was awesome, I had a nice window seat and could pretty much see scenery the whole time I was in the air. My 12 hour flight to Santiago was a different story. I didnt have a seat assigned by my travel agent, so my classmates Lena and Jake got assigned together, and when I got to the boarding gate they assigned me a seat alone. And by alone, I mean in the middle of two strangers against a wall so that my seat didnt recline and I had the most uncomfortable sleep of my life resting my head on my tray. I wasnt really that upset, I mean I was on a plane to Chile how unhappy can you possibly be, but then there was a child who was coughing the entire plane ride, so that even if by some means I could sleep on my tray, I didnt, because of the cough monster a few rows ahead of me. But finally, after 17 hours of traveling, our plane landed safe and sound at Arturo Merino Benitez International Airport in Santiago, Chile. I still wasnt done traveling though, because in order to get to Valdivia from Santiago, you have to take a bus ride, which takes about 10 hours. And the busses from Santiago to Valdivia only run either first thing in the morning or at night, otherwise you get to the bus terminal at a weird hour. So we used our broken Spanish and managed to buy tickets that left Santiago at 930 PM. We bought them at 11 AM. So we had all day to spend hanging around Santiago, and had no idea where we were, didnt know anyone, and hadnt really spoken Spanish since December. We were basically thrown into the belly of the beast. In Santiago we went to the mall, walked around the markets, and tried to talk to people but it didnt really work out. We went to a fast food place called Doggis, where they serve completos, which are Chilean hot dogs. In Chile though, a hot dog comes with avocado, tomatoes, mayo and sometimes other toppings. They are VERY popular and weird. We all stood back for a little while before actually ordering, thinking of what to say, and I had a script already written out in my head of exactly what I was going to say, so I couldnt mess it up and wouldnt look like an idiot. Well, I did end up looking like an idiot, the girl at the register had no idea what I was talking about, and I ended up ordering a completo, fries, empanadas, soda, and chocolate ice cream. Before I got my massive amounts of food she asked for my name, so they could call it out when my order was ready. I told her Kaylea, she stared at me, started laughing, then shooed me away. But eventually, we made it out of Santiago and onto our bus, which took us to our new home of Valdivia, Chile :)
We got to the bus station in Valdivia, and our contact at UaCH, (Universidad Austral de Chile), Amalia, came to pick us up and take us to our host families. Our bus ended up getting into town 2 hours earlier than expected, so we surprised our families when we showed up at their doors at 8AM instead of 10. I was the first to be dropped off, and we pulled onto my street and stopped in front of a cute little house with trees everywhere I got the first look at my new home for the next 5 months. I was very nervous looking at that house. What was I going to say, were they going to be weird, would they like me, was my room nice, did it smell, you know, normal things to wonder going to a house where you have absolutely no idea what to expect. I walked up to the door looking a little rough, didnt smell the best, and had a bad case of jet lag, but when my host dad opened the door I instantly felt better. He introduced himself, Roberto, and led me to my new room, which was freshly cleaned with a twin bed, tv, desk, and comfy chair, all for me. I saw my host mom hiding in the corner and said hello, well hola, (she was embarassed that she was still in her PJs, lol), and put all my stuff in my room. My host parents are an older couple, probably about 60, with two daughters Maria and Cristina. Cristina still lives at home, but Maria is married and has a baby. Roberto and Antonieta made me feel welcome from the first second I walked in their home, they showed me where the shower was and gave me towels, and when I got out they had breakfast sitting on the table waiting for me. My first authentic Chilean meal was little round circular bread, served with butter, jam, cheese and ham, coffee and tea, and fruit. I was a little nervous to have to talk to my new parents, but they spoke slowly and if I didnt understand what they were talking about, told me in a different way until I understood. I was then introduced to their housekeeper, Marisol, which apparently is normal here to have. She cooks and cleans everyday except the weekends and is almost like a part of their family. I still havent gotten used to having my meals served to me or having a clean room every day, but I am NOT complaining about it :)
The actual city of Valdivia is a beautiful little resort town resting at the point of two rivers and is very popular with tourists in the summer. We had a Chilena named Margarita show us around the campus of UaCH and Valdivia, and it was awesome. Today, Lena and I went walking around downtown and went window shopping and wandering. We ended up in the town square, which is always busy, and noticed two people screaming at the top of their lungs and hitting each other. We looked over wondering if this was normal, and saw a crowd of people surrounding them watching too, so we knew something was up. It turns out the people screaming were part of some sort of street performance, and we went over to watch. By the time we walked over there was a pretty decent crowd, probably 100 people, and literally the second Lena and I walk up, the performer looks at me and says, -¿Ayyyy de donde eres? Which means -Where are you from? And I tell him Estados Unidos (USA), and then he starts spitting out Spanish 100 miles per hour and the whole crowd starts laughing. Clearly he said something funny about my gringa-ish ways, and then asks Lena if she was a Chilena!! So obviously, I am very easy to pick out of a crowd here, but at least I am with someone who looks like a local. After a few minutes listening to him we left, and now are on our way to our first bar in Valdivia. Dont worry Mom, Antonieta told me to make sure to tell her if I am going to be gone so she doesnt worry about me :)
Sorry this was so long, but a lot has happened to me in 4 days! Nos Vemos!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kays,

    I'm so glad you got to Chile safely, if not a little worse for wear. I understand about bad plane rides - mine to Germany was horrible, and it was even worse on the way back.

    It sounds like you're having a great time so far. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures. Don't forget pictures! <3

    (Kristina Rosenberg)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry my ponds cream ruined your day, but at least you will have nice soft skin for 5 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, Lauren's comment is funny.

    I almost cried reading this because I was so happy for you lol, I love vicariously living through you and wishing I could be with your host family :) So glad you're having a good time, keep updating biaa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kaylea I'm so glad your having a good time and are staying with a great family!!! I sure hope they liked there maple syrup:-) thanks for keeping us updated and live it to the fullest while your there!!! Much love your cuz Jamie

    ReplyDelete