Sunday, March 27, 2011

I HATE SCHOOL

I can't believe that in 2 days I will have been in Chile for a month already! Time sure does fly! School is already in full swing, and it's a little annoying that all my friends at home are winding down their school year and mine is just beginning, but then I remember when they were all doing homework and studying for exams I was laying on the couch watching movies. So it's my turn now. As my title implies though, I hate school, because it is frustrating and annoying and I would rather be climbing volcanoes all day than writing spanish papers. My least favorite class (written expression) requires that we read a short story and write a paper about it every single week, and correct the one we had written from the week before every week, so it is going to be a lot of work. But, I came here to learn spanish and that is what I am doing!
Life here is always interesting, yesterday Lena and I were enjoying a nice day in the town plaza and we ran into one of our teachers, who proceeded to talk to us for around 20 minutes.  He basically called us out for being losers and not doing anything on a Saturday, but in our defense, ALL of the highschoolers were hanging out in the plaza, so at least we had some company...
Food still is intriguing .. yesterday we decided to try out Telepizza, which we were assuming was like pizza hut or something.. but, alas, we were wrong. It was basically a giant whole wheat english muffin that wasn't toasted with ketchupy pizza sauce and then regular pizza toppings. After that to satisfy our need for something American, we got some ice cream and then hung out around town. About 10 minutes after our ice cream, we both had the most intense stomach cramps of our entire lives and we went back home ASAP. Whether it was the awful telepizza or the ice cream that gave us Montezuma's Revenge we will never know, but I for one am staying away from both for a while. Woof!
My lunch today was also something new, for our appetizer we each had a whole artichoke on a plate. Like usual I had no idea how I was supposed to eat the food on my plate, so I watched others squirt from the mayonnaise pouch a glob of mayo into a little bowl in front of each place mat and then mix it with lemon juice. I did the same. Then, they started peeling off the artichoke leaves one by one and dipping the bottom of them into the mayo mix and scraped the fleshy part of the artichoke off with their teeth. So, I did the same. Surprisingly it was delicious. It tasted like the spinach and artichoke dip my mom makes, and I got over the fact that I was eating straight up mayo (which I despise).
I also got to meet my other 'sister' today, Maria Teresa, and her son Martín, who is 8 months old and adorable. My family is good, school is good, pretty much everything in my life except the occasional stomach issue is awesome right now! See you all in only 4 months now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment