Monday, February 14, 2011

Freaking Out

I titled my blog 'Freaking Out' because in the midst of making this, not only did I realize that I only have 15 more days in the US before I jet away for half a year, but I also heard a large crash in my basement (or what I assumed to be a crash, I'm not really 100% sure there actually is an intruder plotting my murder right now), and I am sitting in my house alone. Anyway, for any randoms reading this or if you just haven't talked to me in a while, I am studying abroad this semester in Chile and I will be gone for 5 months, which is why I decided to document my travels via the internet. I will be living in Southern Chile in the city of Valdivia, where I will be attending La Universidad Austral de Chile (Southern University of Chile), taking classes with local students and living with a Chilean family. As excited as I am for this adventure, I can't help thinking of all the people and things that I am leaving behind for 5 months: my family, boyfriend, friends, comfort, familiarity. I'm even leaving behind my coveted 21st birthday celebration (I'm not sure what Chile's legal drinking age is, but I know 21 isn't a big deal), which trust me was a hard thing to give up. I keep having to remind myself how much of a once in a lifetime opportunity this is for me. How many people can say they have gone to college in a foreign country? How many people have that chance to be submerged in a culture 100% different from their own, and how many people are actually brave enough to do it? It is going to be hard to be away from everything I know and everyone I love, but it is going to make me a stronger person in the long run. So, this blog is going to serve as my virtual diary, where you can come and find out what is going on in my life, even though I will be 5,000 miles away. Hope to see you before I leave :)

No comments:

Post a Comment